Thursday, July 10, 2014

Captain's Log. Day 1.

This is day 33 of my sobriety. I have been drinking since I was 17 and I am now 30. I went into rehab 13 days before my 30th birthday. I knew that I had a problem, and asked a good friend of mine (in a drunken stupor) to help. I got what I always dreaded one Saturday night - an intervention! Granted, I brought the intervention on myself. You see, I could have kept going as I was, but I would have most certainly started losing things. My health, my job, potentially my freedom.

A little over a month later, I can see the benefits in my life. I sleep regularly. I wake up easily. My health is vastly improved. I read more, I think more and I am overall more present in every activity of my life. I take care of tasks instead of putting them off. I am concerned with my health and want to do things that better myself. I don't have as much anxiety and I feel like I am regaining control on my life.

That being said, there is a giant hole in my life that I used to fill with booze. I spent many countless hours drinking instead of tackling life. I came home every night and drank until I slept giving little thought to where I was going with my life or in what trajectory I was sending myself. Every activity was alcohol-centric and now I have to find out how to fill that void. What do people do with their weekends when they don't spend them at bars? How do you meet people if it isn't over booze?

This is what the blog aims to solve. What do I do with myself now that I am sober? What does happiness look like if it isn't being drunk? How do I make my life meaningful and better myself? What do I want to do with the rest of my life? (Hint: this isn't it.)

I aim to answer these questions. I have plenty of time now. And really, that is the main thing we have that we fuck off as alcoholics: time.

No comments:

Post a Comment